Monday 4 January 2016

The Force (of Film) Awakens

Happy New Year, readers!

Although 'STAR WARS VII - The Force Awakens' opened in cinemas 18th December of last year, (I myself saw it on the 21st) I thought it would be a good idea to kick off this year's string of blog posts with a celebration of the film that is...

'STAR WARS VII - THE FORCE AWAKENS'

Never have I seen a film so shrouded by speculation and myth, scepticism and baited breath. When it was announced in October of 2012 that the film giant Disney had bought the franchise for $4 billion from creator George Lucas, the world was stunned. How could R2D2, Han Solo, the Stormtroopers, and Darth Vader exist in the same universe as Mickey Mouse, Buzz Lightyear, and Pluto, let alone be owned by the same people?

For many, it sat ill, and a fear of the Disney castle looming over this galaxy with another Death Star orbiting it carnival-fashion tormented some fans as a 'waking nightmare'. Their only consolidation was the man at the helm; J.J. Abrams, the director who had managed to infuse new life into the Star Trek and Mission Impossible franchises. Could he pull off the same if not a greater feat with STAR WARS?

And so I sat hopeful, as one does in a STAR WARS movie. I believe that is the pure, powerful message behind the films; they ignite hope in us. Hope that
the Evil Empire will finally be defeated, hope that those who are lost to the Dark can find their way again, hope that J.J. can take us back... to a galaxy far, far away...

Save to say, when the iconic titles rolled, I wanted to roar like a Wookie. The further we went as an audience, first to Jakku - home planet of Rey, then inside the famous Millennium Falcon, I began to feel it. The film is aptly titled, as 'The Force Awakens' pays homage to a franchise that in many ways has being lying dormant since Episode III's release in May 2005. Some would argue for longer than that. A decade on, and this being the first STAR WARS I saw in theatres, I have no doubt that, as Han Solo puts it, 'we are home'.

Some people may find the plot a little disappointing. Once again, we have an orphan on a desert planet, an ominous, looming battle station, and a bad guy in a mask. All this may be seen as a lack of inventiveness. It is in fact the magic of Lucas's creation. When I read this article by Mike Klimo:
http://www.starwarsringtheory.com my understanding and appreciation for the films skyrocketed. What STAR WARS does well, and I think this is where a lot of other films have failed in the past, is it stays true to form. There are certain story elements with which our hearts resonate most profoundly; The Hero's Journey, the struggle between good and evil, the power of the mentor, a longing for adventure and a hope for the future; STAR WARS doesn't deviate from any of these. It doesn't forget. Thus, it plays with all the familiarity and surprise needed so that the audience claims it, and makes it their own. They take a look at the stories of Luke, Anakin, Rey, Han Solo, and all the others and say, 'This is my story, this is a part of me, STAR WARS is true to life.'

STAR WARS was a huge part of my childhood. I watched all 6 original films on VHS when I was 10. After that it was LEGO's, action figures, fact files, and my very own make-it-yourself lightsaber. There is a stronger mythology behind these films than I believe exist any many of today's popular sci-fi and dystopian sagas. There's a history that feels more real than the history of earth in many ways. When Rey asks Solo, "Those stories... about what happened...?" and Han Solo replies, "It's true... all of it," we have to agree. I would like to personally salute the cast, crew, and Mr. Abrams for this fantastic film which, simply, is a portal experience. I look forward to the coming sequels with great hope, anticipation, and pride.

Adino Trapani

No comments:

Post a Comment